Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Now Add a Map to Your Bike

The last post showed a rig for adding lights fairly inexpensively. Here is a bit more - I am going to take an old map board that I used before I broke the mount and then remount it.


Note that I've taken the previous designed and flipped it so the lights are now above the handle bars. I've also added a singe L-Bracket with a bolt to one of the lights.



Here is a view from the top. You should be able to see the L-Bracket. I only bolted the top hole of the bracket. It is my intention that the map board will pivot backwards and forwards.



Now I've bolted the old map board to the L-Bracket. Any flat hard surface with a hole in the center would work here. I've got a spot of velcro I use to hold my compass in place. I also prefer to hold the maps down with a couple of stretch cords. Tent stake holders work great and I also had a few of those lying around.



Here is the rig from underneath. The 2 Innova Bolt lights add some serious lighting to the CatEye. The CatEye give long life - it runs about 100 hours, but is relatively dim. The Bolt lights put out some serious lighting - but only last about 2-3 hours. Still with a couple of battery changes you have an all night rig that really works for less than $100.

No comments: