Monday, March 02, 2009

BOAR - Pangea Adventure Race



I almost did not get a chance to make this race. As it was having cross country with the kids in the morning and a soccer match in the late afternoon - nearly kept me from racing, but i was able to come and do the sport course. Even though I was racing solo I did race most of the race with other teams, and I only broke away when I had to so I could get to my car by 2:30 (which left me enough time to go home, shower, change and get to soccer by 4 PM). The highlight was the paddle (which was really a long portage). It was so much fun I went out the next day and picked up the controls with Greg and we trekked the entire paddle leg. I also stepped on an alligator by accident during the flag pickup (he was little and not too happy about being stepped on). Here is a GPS of our flag pickup including my picking up some of the bike controls.

3 comments:

slice4e said...

Stepping on an alligator!! That sounds dangerous. That brings me to my question. It is a gear question.
I have seen you race with shin guards. My shins always gets super scratched from orienteering or adventure racing. My question is; Do your shin guards protect from snake bites? Do you think it is worth buying more expensive guards that protect from snake bites as well? Are you never scared that running through some dry grass you may step on a snake and get badly bitten?

Will Murphy said...

Ironically, given what led you to ask the question, what you have seen are gaiters. They will not stop a snake bite. I suppose soccer shin guard might offer some protection on the front of your lower legs. If they give you some peace of mind and no blisters, then ignore the funny looks, maybe you'll start a trend. (Most snakes will avoid you if they can. I have been racing 10 years in Florida and have not been bitten or seen or heard of another racer getting bitten, and only close once.)

Ron Eaglin, Adventurer said...

I wear the gaiters to protect my shins and I can also move faster through thick brush when I don't have to worry about getting cut up. They are also useful in other scenarios (such as keeping the snow out you shoes in mountainous terrain, not a big worry here). As far as snakes I've done a lot of races and it is pretty rare to see a snake in a race. I do see them more when I am out by myself - but even then they heading away from me at top speed. Also I've stepped on Alligators a few times (and biked over one a few times also), and have been attacked twice (though never in a race) - both being my own fault and neither being situations that most people would ever encounter (unless you map locations of gator mounds). Alligators tend to lie motionless in open sunny locations near water, so if you are paying attention you can easily avoid them. And they are incredibly slow - don't believe folks who say they can run fast, that is a myth - they are incredibly slow on land.