Saturday, December 08, 2007

Kelly Park Orienteering


I figured I'd at least post my GPS track from the Floida Orienteering Championship. The event was an awesome race, with at least 5 competitors within 2 minutes of each other. Each of us made at least one mistake (mine was on #2 - which was in retrospect a pretty easy control compared to some of the more challenging controls that I did get. On Monday I'll scan and post the actual map with my route on it. I ran the entire even with a GPS on tracking mode in my backpack.


I am able to transfer the route to my Nationa Geographic TOPO software, which in turn I am able to print at 1:15K scale and trace (using a light table) onto my orienteering map. Unfortuantely my home scanner is not working (damn HP printers/scanners), but my scanner at work does work OK. Anyway - Here is the USGS version of the map, I'll also give my thoughts on various controls and where I made my mistake on #2 (which won't make much sense looking at the USGS map). Total off-road distance 5.7 miles (a tough 5.7 miles) and a travel time of 79 minutes 25 seconds. I did run too conservative as I had too much energy at the end, which at least made controls 8, 9, and F pretty fast.

No comments: