Monday, December 10, 2007

Kelly Park Orienteering - December 2007


The routes are exact based on a GPS I carried in my pack. Total time 79 minutes 25 seconds, total distance 5.6 miles, equivalent road distance 8.9 miles.

S to 1 – Trail run to attack point. I originally was going to attack from south of the green area. The white open looked good and it was not hard crossing the splotchy green. Came out just west of the flag, though the control description “terrace” was not too useful.
1 -2 – My mistake of the day. My bearing was slightly off and the lack of features was apparent. I saw the trail, ran too it and used the hilltop to attack. I misread the contours thinking the dashed contour was the bottom of the low area, instead it was a sub-contour and the flag was on a tree on the hillside. I corrected as soon as I saw my mistake (which you can see from my route.
2-3 – My plan was to beeline the control, but the terrain was really bad so I used the east trail as a backstop and attack and relief from the uneven ground. As I got into the low area I did not see the control which was on the northern edge of the low area and well hidden.
3-4 – This was pretty easy and the spur top and trail was apparent, though I did have to do some weaving through the thicket areas.
4-5 – I was proud of myself – finding the little gap in the dark green to the control east, cutting through and quickly finding the control.
5-6 – Plan was to hit the trail T-intersection and attack from there, bulls-eyed it.
6-7 – Never saw the vegetation boundaries (2 dashed circles), but the flag was obvious from 100 meters.
7-8 – Headed North until I got tired of the terrain – headed to the trail and put on the burners. Location was pretty obvious in the white finger protruding into the thicket. Attack point (depression) was also easy.
8-9 – Just run hard, looking for the easiest route and terrain, easy find on an obvious thicket.
9 – F Sprint to trail, and in.
Results (how are these for close results ! - 50 seconds separate the top 3):
Bob Putnam 78:35
Rob Kohnen 79:10
Ron Eaglin 79:25
Tim Buchholz 80:00
Jeremy Hauff 81:40
Wecefar (Kip and Jessica) 82:15

No comments: