Tuesday, August 19, 2014

World Rogaine Championship 2014 - South Dakota

Here is a short analysis and recap of the 24 World Rogaine with some course info. I raced with Brian Thompson and Sean Butler - a great race team pairing.








Leg 1 -Shown on map is route choice (not exact) and time on each leg. We elected to go south, which had higher point controls, but a lower point density than the northern sections. A difficult choice since all the area is mapped as white, so any variations in terrain and runability are essentially hidden. We started with a pretty good pace and our navigation was pretty much spot on - though Brian did most of the front navigation during this section and I stayed back but kept a close eye on the map to avoid an big errors.

Leg 2 - This leg contained a very interesting long no road or trail section from 103 to 93, this was an interesting and enjoyable leg and did not pose any real navigation challenges. Our pace slowed slightly during this section - but much of that was due to terrain.

Leg 3 - The essentially flat and open terrain made the route through 74 pretty straightforward, and our time reflected that. I was starting to feel overheated with some stomach issues around 74, but was still able to keep the pace.

Leg 4 - It was on the approach to 92 that the bottom fell out for me. Brian and Sean were doing well and pushing the pace. By the time I got back to the road from 92 I was stumbling and ended up vomiting the contents of my stomach on the road north of 92. My physical condition reflected the pace from 92 to 81 and the fact that we skipped 56. At this point I wanted to get the team back to the hash house for recovery, but that was not an option as we were a solid 12K as the crow flies from the hash house - so we stuck with the original course plan skipping 56.

Leg 5 - I was essentially useless this leg, delirious and sick. I know I vomited again somewhere along here. It was dark and I was just following. I am not sure how Brian found 46, I do remember stopping a few times and then he gave a reassuring - "I know it is this way" and then I was punching the control. We never found 63 - I simply remember searching for a while and there being a lot of re-entrants. The team did let me rest here and I even think I slept for maybe 5-10 minutes. The total time from 46 to 106 was nearly 130 minutes. When we came out to the road at the stream road intersection - I felt better and even navigated the 106, which I did overshoot - but easily corrected from the backstop. The road section north and the water stop gave me even more recovery, but my strength was definitely near gone - and I had no food or water in my system.


Leg 6 - The potential climb(200 meters) to 48 was near impossible in my condition, so we re-routed and headed to 42 and 70. There was a little bit of debate as to route, but Brian mad some corrections and I was at least in good enough condition as the sun started to come up to actually navigate.

Leg 7 - Some good route choices by Brian and a bit easier terrain was helping my physical condition, though I really wanted to be done here - the team was supporting me well, carrying my pack and even getting some food into me. I had been able to hold down a 12 ounce water bottle, so I was a lot less dehydrated. Brian and Sean looked very strong and were keeping me moving.

Leg 8 - A lot of road here - which was good. I think Brian went down hard at 73, I heard something, but he was back up and moving as we left there. I wanted to contour around toward 104 from here - but we instead went down to the road. I did note some other teams did successfully contour this section. We attacked 104 across the saddle - and that was probably my favorite section. The entire course had deadfall, and it was bad here - but there was no point in complaining about something that was pervasive all through the course. After 82 I wanted to head back the the HH, but the team talked me into 61, 51 - which turned out to be a good call.





Final leg - We probably could have optimized this a bit better - but we managed to get 51, 32, 23 and make it back with plenty of time to spare.

Overall assessment - Brian and Sean both were physically stronger than me, and having that assessment at the start could have helped as we distributed the weight of food, water, and gear. The point density to the north was higher, and it possibly could have yielded more points had we started that way. But - I really liked Brian's strategy if hitting the high point controls - even if we did not get as many points overall, the high pointers were much more interesting legs - and added to the overall enjoyment of the race.

I would definitely do more Rogaine races - and overall the race was well organized. The maps did lack some details I think they could have had - especially with unmapped roads, which made some route choices a gamble. Brian and Sean were great team-mates, understanding and supportive when I was sick - but encouraging enough to keep me going.








No comments: