Monday, May 08, 2006

Talon Race 2004

The Talon 2004

The Talon is a 8-12 hour race held in Alafia River State park. The 12 hour race format is probably the most brutal – though you do not have the sleep deprivation issues of longer races, the intensity level is the same as the shorter sprint races, though you have to keep that intensity 2-3 times longer to do well. Team CFAR this time was Ron Eaglin, Jamie Sheriff, and David Brault (the three person coed was the competition division and that is where we wanted to race). A lot of very strong biker-based teams were at the race and the atmosphere was great (a lot of camaraderie).

The race started with a 3 mile double track bike leg that would lead us into the single track riding. The double track would give the bikers time to spread out and allow the stronger teams to enter the single track ahead of the slower teams. The course was very well-marked with large signs and was easy to follow until we approached the entrance to the single track – and there was nothing. The top lead teams (very well-seasoned, familiar with the park, and much better bikers than me) made the correct turn into the single track, however the second pack missed the turn and about a mile later found ourselves on the main paved road leading to the TA. This was wrong – I decided we would bike back to the TA for instruction and to let them know a turn was probably not marked. As we approached the TA, Jamie had a flat tire – so Dave and Jamie started changing the flat, while I informed the race director of the missing markers. I got Dave and Jamie who were just finishing the tire repair and we headed to the single track entrance – the race director had shown me a faster way to it than doubling back on our track. All the other teams that had missed the turn, had already doubled back and would likely beat us to the entrance.

When we reached the entrance it was now VERY well marked and we entered the single track pretty much in last place ( with a few straggler teams). Passing in single track is difficult (“single” track) and we were entering some very challenging bike terrain, the course called “Roller Coaster”. Many of the back teams were walking their bikes up and down the roller coaster like hills, and when we approached were courteous and let us ride through. “Riders Up!”, and “Riders through!” were being shouted throughout the trails. The pack was completely mixed with advanced riders and beginner riders all together. The call that I did not want to hear; “Slowing!” and “Stopping !” – were all too frequently being called as riders exercised caution based on their skill level on the challenging terrain. By the time we exited Roller Coast and entered the next single track segment “Pine Wood” we had passed about 7 teams – but were still moving much slower than we wanted.

Each trail at Alafia has a different challenge, Pine Woods challenge is the proximity and denseness of the tree forest. You simply have to get you bike between trees that offer about 6 inches clearance (on both sides), over and over again – but the ground is flat and not terribly bumpy. This is one of my favorite trail (probably because I ride a hard-tail and like the smooth ground). Passing was near to impossible, and it was not until we got into the last two trails; Rock Garden and River Loop that we were able to move at a comfortable pace. Comfortable is a relative word here, though – my triceps were burning and my back was hurting – 17 miles of single track can do that to you.

When we hit the TA we did the first special test; changing 2 car tires ! and bypassed the other 2 as they were crowded and started the 1+ mile run to the canoes. We arrived at the canoes quickly (with 3 other teams), rigged the portage and headed for the river (about ¼ mile down a trail). The disaster struck – I was not paying attention and as 2 teams ht the river and turned left, we blindly followed.

Here is a good question; if a river runs generally north and south, and you want to head south, and you are approaching from the west – which direction should you go when you hit the river ? Right or left ? Regardless of bearing – you should have answered correctly as right – well we did not. And we also did not realize this simple mistake until after about 25 minutes of grueling paddling, stopping every 100 yards to portage over trees. This is adventure racing – never give up. A team of good friend – whom we had raced against many times “Jim’s Bicycles” (I’ll abbreviate as JB from here on out) and we turned around and headed the other way. We had entered the water mid-pack and at this point we were assuredly way in the back (again!). Some other teams behind us (and at least one that had been in front of us, had made the same mistake), I even had a hard time convincing teams that they were wrong – but the right turn/left turn logic prevailed. I think the thought of paddling back through all the snags was not too pleasant to them.

Eventually we reached the a bridge that was CP9 where we had to climb a hanging ladder (and wait in line behind many other teams to do so) and we started a paddle loop to CP 10 and back. CP 9 was also CP 11 and I was able to determine that 5 teams had left the paddle and started the next leg of the race (orienteering), and there were many teams coming into CP 11. We quickly made our way up the ladder and then back around and onto the 2 ½ mile (approximately) paddle loop. This section was all open water and we were able to make CP 10 in 20 minutes, we turned around and headed back to CP9/11. Because we could see the front 3PC teams leaving the water as we were at 9, I determined they had a 45 minute lead – which meant that at least the teams I saw could still be caught. I had paddled all from CP9, CP10 and CP 11 and was leaving the water a little tired. A couple of teams had waited at the water for us to exit – wanting to navigate with our team, so we had a small group as we headed out into the orienteering.

The first control (CP 12) was misplaced (slightly) being a bit west of the mapped location, but visible from the true spot. We saw teams coming from different directions that also made it easier (based on their locations) to know where the flag wasn’t. (You do this in AR). CP 13 was very easy to find, as we headed for CP13 we saw many teams back-tracking to find 12 – I gave them some quick pointers and we moved on. Jamie was feeling very strong at this point – but I was definitely hurting (the paddle had taken a lot of steam out of me). Controls 14 – 18 would all be difficult navigation, so I moved us to a fast walking pace and concentrated on the map. We easily found 14 as the peninsula was distinct and arrived at the same time as Team JB. We backtracked around the peninsula, while JB cut across the water – that gave them a slight lead going into CP 15. CP 15 also had a distinct lake feature and the control was quickly spotted by the now pack of about 4 teams working together. CP 16 appeared to be the most challenging of the control, and indeed it was. We had been traveling in chest high grass since CP 13, and now the grass was thicker with other low brush. AS we approached 16 I made a strategic decision to punch through the canopied area to 17 and return to 16 and use it as an attack point to CP 18 (we could do the controls in any order). After emerging from the heavy vegetation boundary running E-W, we could see the PVC pipes marked on the map and quickly found CP 17, we then re-crossed the boundary and found CP 16. The trek from CP 16 to CP 18 looked like it was going to be a lot of tall grass (heading NW along the vegetation boundary) – but it ended up opening up nicely and we made very good progress as we rounded the corner of the boundary. The next part would be tricky keeping a bearing in very thick vegetation with no features – but we were due west of the control and knew we’d reach it on a westward heading. Sure enough we did and passed quite a few teams on the way. CP 18 to the TA was easy. We were the first 3PC team to arrive, though the top 2PM and 3PM teams had finished – we were where we wanted to be in our category.

We quickly went after the 2 special tests. I completed a 3D block jigsaw puzzle rapidly and joined my team-mates who had restocked fluids and were starting on a 3 page I-Spy challenge. My 2 daughters, whom I play I-Spy with all the time came and joined us, together we found all 15 or so I-Spy items on the laminated cards that had them. These were a couple of tough mental challenges when you are as tired as we were, but gave us some needed physical rest. As we were completing the challenges, one 3PC team had come and left, and Team JB came in – we left just in front of them on the last bike leg, a 8-10 mile bike on double track sand roads that had taken the top teams a little under 2 hours.

As we rounded the corner and headed for CP 20 it was obvious that Dave and I were both not doing well. In the grass on the O section, something had bitten me on the knee and I was feeling the poison in my system (today I feel fine – but have a couple of fang marks on my knee and it is really tender). As we crossed the water heading to CP 20 we passed the other 3PC team which were looking rough. We easily found CP20. Jamie was still very strong so I hooked up the tow and let her tow me (I still pedal – it just gives you an extra boost) to CP 21. We arrived there as 3 teams were trying to solve the puzzle. Jamie called off the clues and I immediately knew the answer. [Snake Eyes, Number of Pawns on a Chessboard, Number of Moons of Mercury ] which was the bearing to the actual location of the punch. We punched it with the other teams and headed for CP 22 – I was still under tow, but feeling better. We needed to make a left turn on the route and as we approached the road – it was gated. I hollered that we needed to take it. Team JB was now in front of us, but had missed the turn. Jamie stopped and made sure I was making the correct decision (I was still a bit delirious) – but we confirmed and headed south quickly reaching CP 22 and the next clue.

This clue was very difficult, it was a math problem with about 20 terms, we knew it would give the correct bearing – but solving it was hard. Jamie realized that my cell-phone had a calculator on it, but when I pulled it out of my dry bag it had gotten damp. Nokia phones tolerate just about anything but moisture – thus my phone simply hissed and blinked random words at me. Another team arrived as we were working on this and we got their cell and Jamie, Dave, and the now 3 teams worked through the problem. Meanwhile I took a different approach and organized a search group (basically told the folks waiting let look for it !). After climbing a hill to the NW of the clue, I spotted the flag and saw one searcher heading for it. I motioned for him and the other teams to the location. Meanwhile Team JB had arrived coming from the NW road and saw me pointing to the flag. Unfortunately I was not getting Jamie and Dave’s attention as they were still working on the math problem (which I now realized had an answer of 0 as the flag was due north of their location. I ran back down and we got the punch and headed out. We needed to head back to the main TA from CP 22 which was about 3 miles. Still slightly delirious I saw some teams starting south, but watching me. I mounted the bike and started NW up the hill. Team JB had gotten a jump on the bike and had a 2 minute lead leaving CP 22. It was now a two team race for first place in the 3PC division. Jamie urged us on (she was still riding strong) – I no longer needed the tow and was actually leading the team. I had memorized the map for the return trip and knew what we needed to do. Unfortunately, now Dave was hurting (quite a bit). I could see JB ahead of us and also Dave fading back, Jamie went back to put Dave on the tow, but the terrain was too choppy to effectively tow until we got to Thatcher Road. We made a right turn and over another fence and it was pure pedaling now. Team JB had increased their lead – and Dave was really hurting now. I knew we had no chance of catching them (but we also did not know if they had completed the mental tests). We rode in strong – with Dave under tow, just a few minutes behind them.

After a little cooling off and a Mountain Dew – we sat and chatted after the race. It was a big victory for them, and we also felt good that we had come from a near dead last half-way into the race to take second in our division. We had worked together to do this, and friendly competition is what this is all about. In its second year the Talon has established itself as one of the best 12 hour races in Florida.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my adventure cycling site.
Have a great day!